As one of the premier food science programs in the nation, we apply the principles of science and engineering to ensure the nutritional value, safety and quality of foods in the United States and around the globe. Our program integrates the disciplines of chemistry, biology, nutrition, physiology, biotechnology and engineering to ensure that all people have access to healthy, affordable food.
Our faculty, staff and students are making a difference in the lives of people throughout the world. They are at the forefront of:
- identifying and limiting outbreaks of foodborne illnesses.
- developing new food sources and preservation methods to expand the available food supply for a growing world population.
- improving the quality and consumer appeal of products on store shelves.
- developing foods that may someday travel to other planets with astronauts.
The demand for food scientists is increasing as our world becomes more focused on the vital role that food plays in the well-being of individuals, communities and nations.. Currently, more job opportunities exist than we have graduates to fill positions. Our faculty, students and graduates work with government regulatory agencies, the food industry and researchers across the world.
You can find some additional information about our department at the following links:
- The Northeast Center for Food Entrepreneurship
- The Cornell Dairy Bar NOTE: Buy your ice cream at the Trillum dining hall while the Dairy Bar is under construction.
- The Northeast Dairy Food Research Center
- Food Science Workshop for Middle and High School Teachers
- National GAPS Program for Fruit and Vegetable Safety